The Codes Enforcement Officer is responsible for administration of the Zoning Ordinance, enforcement of various nuisance codes and enforcement of city adopted housing and dilapidated structure codes.
- Enforces the Zoning Ordinance for the City of Oswego
- City staff liaison to the Planning and Zoning Commission and the Board of Zoning Appeals.
- Assists in the development of long range plans for the City (Strategic Plan)
- Reviews new construction plans and issues building permits when found to be in compliance with zoning regulations.
- Canvasses the city for violation of the city’s nuisance codes (i.e. weeds, trash and inoperable vehicles).
- Performs housing inspections upon receiving a complaint of unsafe or unsanitary conditions.
- Evaluates structures that are in various stages of disrepair for dangerous or blighting conditions through the enforcement of the city’s dilapidated structure codes.
The Planning Commission meets as needed on the 3rd Monday of the month at 6:30 p.m. at City Hall (703 Fifth Street).
Planning Commission Members are:
- Regan Monroe
- Bill Gray
- Dan Chapman
- Terry Robison
- Susan Bringle
- Alicia Spradling
- Diana Irwin Cardin
You can call 620-795-4433 during business hours (8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) to report violations. When reporting violations, please provide specific and detailed information, including the exact location or address, and a complete description of the problem. All information provided will be kept confidential.
Examples of violations:
- Open storage of inoperable vehicles.
- Grass and/or weeds on property exceeding ten (10) inches in height.
- Ponds or pools of stagnant water
- Limbs or parts of trees projecting over streets and sidewalks with less than fourteen (14) feet of clearance
- Tires, old appliances, building materials, tree limbs and piled brush
- Landscaping, trees or vegetation overgrown or planted in areas at intersections or growing along city streets that cause blind corners and/or obstructs the view of traffic.
Last Updated (Thursday, 11 August 2011 19:27)