Important Information About Your Drinking Water

Monitoring Report Requirements Not Met

Our water system recently incurred a drinking REPORTING water violation. Even though THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE QUALITY OF WATER AND WAS NOT AN EMERGENCY, as our customers, you have the right to know what happened and what we did to correct the situation. We did not submit on time a required report to the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE). Failure to submit the monitoring report on time is a violation of Federal and Kansas regulations and requires us to distribute this public notice to our customers.

What happened?

We are required to monitor your drinking water for specific contaminants on a regular basis. Results of regular monitoring are an indicator of whether our drinking water meets health standards. Monitoring for turbidity (cloudiness) tells us whether we are effectively filtering the water supply. Each monthly report is due to KDHE 10 days after the last day of the month. KDHE received our report for May 2019 on July 8, 2019.

The testing was completed but the lab that processes our reports had their server down and we did not receive reports from them for 30 days. The city sent the reports to KDHE as soon as we received them.


What should you do? 

There is nothing for our customers to do.  There are no adverse health effects from this violation as it is a reporting violation only. 


What is being done?

The lab’s server has been fixed and we are now receiving reports and submitting them to KDHE on time again.


For more information, please contact:  Calvin Jurgensen at 620-795-4433

Or by Mail: 703 5th St., P.O. Box 210, Oswego, KS 67356

Please share this information with all the other people who drink this water and who may not have received this notice directly (for example, people in apartments, nursing homes, schools).  You can do this by posting this notice in a public place or distributing copies by hand or mail.

This notice is being sent to you by the CITY OF OSWEGO

Federal Water System ID # KS2009908

Date distributed: August 27, 2019

THE CITY OF OSWEGO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY PROVIDER AND EMPLOYER - If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at