What's Happening In Oswego

Street Dance 

Downtown Oswego

September 30th


City Wide Garage Sale

October 1st



Riverside Park

October 8th


BBQ Coookoff

Downtown Oswego

October 22nd



Downtown Oswego

October 31st

Events Calendar

October 2022
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

City Contact Information

City of Oswego, Kansas
PO Box 210
703 Fifth Street
Oswego, Kansas 67356

Phone: 620-795-4433
Fax: 620-795-4873

Contact Us


Follow us on Face Book

Articles View Hits


Code Enforcement

The Codes Enforcement Officer is responsible for administration of the Zoning Ordinance, enforcement of various nuisance codes and enforcement of city adopted housing and dilapidated structure codes.

  • Enforces the Zoning Ordinance for the City of Oswego
  • City staff liaison to the Planning and Zoning Commission and the Board of Zoning Appeals.
  • Assists in the development of long range plans for the City (Strategic Plan)
  • Reviews new construction plans and issues building permits when found to be in compliance with zoning regulations.
  • Canvasses the city for violation of the city’s nuisance codes (i.e. weeds, trash and inoperable vehicles).
  • Performs housing inspections upon receiving a complaint of unsafe or unsanitary conditions.
  • Evaluates structures that are in various stages of disrepair for dangerous or blighting conditions through the enforcement of the city’s dilapidated structure codes. 

The Planning Commission meets as needed on the 3rd Monday of the month at 6:30 p.m. at City Hall (703 Fifth Street). 

Planning Commission Members are: 

  • Todd Riley- Chair
  • Derek Hellwig- Vice Chair
  • Vacant
  • Ted Hornung
  • Gale Brown
  • Peyton Kessler
  • Jesse Kallus

You can call 620-795-4433 during business hours (8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) to report violations.  When reporting violations, please provide specific and detailed information, including the exact location or address, and a complete description of the problem.  All information provided will be kept confidential.

 Examples of violations:

  • Open storage of inoperable vehicles.
  • Grass and/or weeds on property exceeding twelve (12) inches in height.
  • Ponds or pools of stagnant water
  • Limbs or parts of trees projecting over streets and sidewalks with less than fourteen (14) feet of clearance
  • Tires, old appliances, building materials, tree limbs and piled brush
  • Landscaping, trees or vegetation overgrown or planted in areas at intersections or growing along city streets that cause blind corners and/or obstructs the view of traffic.
THE CITY OF OSWEGO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY PROVIDER AND EMPLOYER - If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at  http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 


Copyright © 2020. All Rights Reserved.