The Sanitation Department is responsible for the collection of solid waste from approximately 850 residents and 140 business and industrial customers each week.  Sanitation service is mandatory for all residents and commercial customers in the city.  Residential customers receive service once a week while commercial and industrial customers receive service as requested Monday through Friday based on their need.  Residential service is provided to customers east of Commercial Street on Monday; and customers west of Commercial Street on Tuesday.  Poly-carts or dumpsters are provided to all sanitation customers as part of the city's sanitation service.  

Poly-carts should be set at the curb no later than 7 a.m. on the scheduled sanitation pick-up day.  Poly-carts are to be taken back to the house at the end of each pick-up date and not left at the curb.  Refuse should be bagged prior to placing in the poly-cart to keep the cart clean and sanitary and to prevent trash blowing around on windy days.  

What happens if you have extra trash?  The occasional extra bag will be picked up; if you always have extra trash an additional poly-cart will be required.  Boxes or cartons larger than 30 inches per side should be collapsed to fit in the trash vehicle.  Customers are responsible for keeping the poly-carts clean and sanitary; the city will maintain and replace the poly-cart as needed except for damage due to negligence or abuse.  Only very small amounts of leaves and or limbs are permitted in poly-carts.  

The city will pick up brush that has been placed at the curb for a fee of $5.00 for a small pile, $25 for a medium pile and $50 for large. You can call the City Office to check to see how much the charge will be for your pile. The City will NOT pick up brush/trees that have been cut down by a contractor. The contractor is responsible for removal of the debri.The fee must be paid at City Hall prior to the pickup date.  Brush is picked up the first Friday of every month. Leaves and grass clippings bagged and in good condition will be picked up for a fee of $3 that must be paid prior to the pickup date.  


The city operates a brush site, located at 1321 Chisholm Lane. Thursday's you may call the City Office at 795-4433 between 11am and 4pm to request someone to meet you at the site to open the gate. It is also open on the 3rd Saturday of the month from 8:00am to 12:00pm. There is no charge for hauling your own brush and leaves to the site.  A compost pile is also at this site and leaves should be dumped at this location.  An attendant is on-site on Saturdays and can assist you if needed. The city also provides a construction and demolition
dumpster at this site for a fee based on the weight of the materials.  You must obtain a weigh ticket from Bartlett Co-op of the empty weight for your vehicle or trailer, and then provide a weigh ticket with it loaded.

Citizens may haul the following items to this site during these hours:

  1.  Brush - No charge to haul to the site.
  2.  Leaves/grass clippings (A compost area is provided for these items. No charge to haul to the site.)
  3.  Construction & Demolition dumpster. Materials accepted include construction materials, includingshingles, siding, etc.; furniture, hot water tanks, appliances, mattresses, etc. If you are unsure about any item, speak with the attendant. You must obtain a weigh ticket of your vehicle or trailer while full;and again when it is empty so the correct fee may be charged. Fees are currently $53.50 per ton, with a minimum charge of $7.50. These may be obtained at Bartlett Coop. 


Citizens who would like to burn leaves or brush need to contact the City or County to see if a Burning Ban is in effect. If no ban is in effect the city does have a Burn Policy that prohibitsburning within the city except for periods in the spring or fall for the burning of leaves. Burningof trash or garbage is NOT permitted in the city.  Small limbs that are broken up to be burned with leaves or placed in a fire pit are also permitted.  No brush piles should be burned without permission from the Fire Chief. Violations of the Burn Policy could result in fines or even worse a destructive fire so please make sure you are familiar with the policy before you decide to burn.

THE CITY OF OSWEGO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY PROVIDER AND EMPLOYER - If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at